Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Eastern Oklahoma District Library System's Staff Day (10/17/12)

Today I had the honor of being one among a few Oklahoma authors picked to speak to over 150+ librarians in the Eastern Oklahoma District Library System's Staff Development conference in Muskogee. I was given a chance to explain the writing process from my perspective, have a great lunch with this excellent company and to spread the word about my projects and publications to be.

The questions we were given were:
  • Where and when do you like to write?
  • What is the hardest part of writing for you?
  • Assuming you have experienced writers block, what is your solution?
  • What advice do you have for someone starting out?
  • How do you come up with story ideas?
  • What is the best thing about being a writer?
  • If you were writing a book about your life, what would the title be?
  • What question have you always wanted to be asked in an interview? How would you answer that question?
  • What are you working on now?
  • I have a few friends who are authors and I have had them put quirks and qualities of my personality or things I have said in their books, do you do this with people in your lives?

It was a rare opportunity that I hope becomes more regular as time goes on. There is nothing like being able to express one's angle in writing and how it is done and composed to people eager to know. Writers often do not get to express themselves besides their works, and it is so cathartic. Usually we are recluses, hidden away on our computers and typewriters trying to create something engaging and interesting, and once in a while a hit or a huge success if we are able.

I will post the photos once I have them uploaded and place them here and on my blog. This is definitely a milestone in my career, and I hope to have more along the way.The other two authors I shared the day with was Sonia Gensler and Gene Ruth Brumback, both completely opposite to me, my style and gender, leaving me the only guy there as an author. Sonia has written 'The Revenant', a Horror story that takes place in Tahlequah at the old Cherokee Girls' School, mixed with double identities, forbidden romance and plenty of secrets. Gene writes a weekly devotional column for the Muskogee area paper and has collected them together in one book called 'Sewing Seeds, Pulling Weeds'.

(Some photos are a little blurry:)



No comments:

Post a Comment